Mgahinga Gorilla trekking and hiking safaris
Mgahinga gorilla trekking and hiking safaris in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park is one of the most beautiful national parks of Uganda deriving its name from the fact that its habitat to the elusive mountain gorillas. This makes it a good Uganda safari destination for gorilla trekking, however, it is also a good hiking destination.
Mgahinga raises to an altitude ranging from 2,227 to 4,127 m above sea level and is comprised of three dormant volcanoes which are Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Muhabura and Mount Gahinga. Mount Sabyinyo raises to an altitude of 3,645 m above sea level, Mount Muhabura is at 4,127 m and Mount Gahinga raises to 3,474 m above sea level.
The park is located in south western Uganda created in 1991 and covers an area of 33.9 square kilometers making it the smallest park in Uganda and yet the best kept secret when it comes to diversity. Mgahinga Park is part of the chain of Virunga Mountains and a part of the Nile River watershed area. It is contiguous with the Volcanoes National Park of Rwanda and Virunga National Park of Congo.
Hiking safaris in Mgahinga National Park
Hiking is one of the popular activities undertaken on the volcanoes of Mgahinga National Park. Walking or hiking through the trails of Mgahinga is undoubtedly the best experience and perfect way to explore the beauty within this treasure. A walking trip or nature walk is an opportunity to help travelers appreciate the beauty in the park, see several wildlife and listen to several sweet sounds of the birds in the park.
There are several trails that are chosen depending on the hikers interests and these include the sabyinyo gorge walk, batwa trail, border trail and a hike to the peak of extinct volcanoes either mount sabyinyo, mount Gahinga or mount Muhabura. A hike to any of the volcanoes will indeed offer a great experience with great views of the neighboring Congo and Rwanda .
Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Many travelers on Uganda gorilla safaris usually prefer to trek gorillas in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park which is home to almost half of the world’s mountain gorillas. Mgahinga Park is however, one of the best places to trek mountain gorillas in Uganda and this is why;
- Tracking the Nyakagezi gorilla group is amazing with the fact that this group is big and social compared to many other habituated gorilla groups. The family is comprised of three silverbacks, 2 adult females, 2 black backs and 2 infants. The Nyakagezi family is led by Silverback Mark assisted by Mafia, Ndungutse and Bugingo. Rukundo is the sole Black back, Nshuti an adult female plus two babies namely Nshuti baby and Fred. Silverback Bugingo was formerly the lead silverback before Mark took over, however the former is happily playing the role of the “senior” silverback in the group. Such a group is rare to find since in many families big groups separate to have dominance and 2 silverbacks can’t lead the same group.
- Nyakagezi family is one of the easiest to track given the fact that it prefers a narrow home range for feeding, nesting, relaxing and recreation. In case you are not ready to hike for a long distance, Mgahinga is a better option since they can be found after a short time of trekker rather than those of Bwindi that may require a longer time to trek.
- Mgahinga Gorilla National Park is closer to Rwanda and therefore easier to return to Rwanda after the trek. In case you are in Rwanda where the gorilla trekking permit is at US$ 1500 and would love to trek gorillas at a cheaper price you can opt to trek in Mgahinga at just USD 600. It’s about a 4 hours’ drive from Kigali to Mgahinga and therefore you can return after the trek.
Other Activities in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Mgahinga isn’t only a gorilla trekking and hiking destination but there are also other activities like golden monkey trekking and birding.
It’s only in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park where mountain gorillas and golden monkey co-exist therefore the slogan where silver meets gold. In case you would love to see these beauties then it’s good to choose trekking golden monkeys as well. There is no other place where this is possible in Uganda.
The park is a very good Uganda birding safari destination with over 115 bird species. Some of the bird species here include the Albertine Rift endemics. The white-necked raven, black kite, pin-tailed whydah, double-collared sunbird, paradise flycatcher and many more are some of the bird species that can be spotted in the park.
In conclusion, visit Mgahinga Gorilla National Park for gorilla trekking, hiking safaris, nature walks, birding, golden monkey trekking, Mgahinga Gorilla trekking and hiking safaris and have experiences within this golden gem.
Popular Uganda Safaris Tours Tailored by Acacia Safaris Uganda
Uganda safari, trips & tours from Uganda gorilla trekking tours to exciting game drives in the most visited Uganda Safari Destinations that will leave you wanting for more. The perfect Uganda safaris for you and your budget. Uganda is considered as the Pearl of Africa has a lot to offer to the world in terms of safari adventures. Besides, Uganda has such a wealth of attractions that a single visit will not be enough to discover all its wonders. It has 10 National parks namely: Murchison fall National Park, Kidepo Valley National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Lake Mburo National Park, Semuliki National Park, Rwenzori Mountains NP, Kibale Forest NP, Bwindi impenetrable NP, Mt.Elgon NP. Each of these offering magnificent and unique fauna and flora, which make visitors always remember memorable moments in the Pearl of Africa.
Our most popular Uganda Gorilla Safaris to Bwindi Impenetrable Park and Mgahinga Gorilla Park offer our Gorilla Safari Uganda clients a great opportunity to go for Mountain Gorilla Trekking. The Most Popular Safari Packages include 3 days Bwindi Uganda Gorilla Trekking Safari and 3 days Mgahinga Gorilla Uganda Safari Tour. The Uganda Safari are categorized into 3 major categories namely Short safaris, medium safaris, and long safaris. The short safaris range from 1-3 days, the medium safaris range from 4-6 days and the long safaris range from 7 days and beyond.
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Safari Uganda Tour
- 3 Days Gorilla Safari Uganda Bwindi Impenetrable Park Tour
- 3 Day Queen Elizabeth National Park Safari
- 4 Days Kidepo Valley National Park Uganda Safari
- 3 Day Jinja City Tour Uganda Safari
- 8 Days Uganda Wildlife Safaris Tour
- 9 Day Uganda Wildlife Safaris Tour
- 12 Day Jungle Uganda Safari
- 14 Day Uganda Safari Eco-explorer
- 15 Days Uganda Wildlife Safari Kigali City Rwanda Tour
- 18 Day Best of Uganda Safari